[x264-devel] I444 support

James Gardiner james.gardiner at digitall.net.au
Tue Jan 15 05:28:26 CET 2008

Thank you the clarification Neil,
It is just that I had not considered or heard about M-JPG2000 being used
as a transmition/streaming codec.

I am mainly interested in H.264 as a hi-quality distribution codec for
cinema type application that is an alternative to DCI (JPEG2000).
H.264 High Profile 4:4:4 (With 10/12 bit support and up to 4k
resolution) sounds like a good alternative with some advanyages over
JPEG2000, mainly being high precevible quality and colour depth at much
lower bitrates.

Reading comments from the list, it appear that this is the general
conclusion.  Still, I would be interested in knowing exactly how much
better the compression would be for H.264 over JPEG2000.  I expect I
will not find out until I get my hands on an H.264 implementation that
supports it.

Currently I know of two different companies working on releasing this
feature before 1st half this year.

Thanks,
James