[x264-devel] CALL FOR MPEG4-AVC/H.264 CODECS COMPARISON

Dmitriy Vatolin dmitriy at graphics.cs.msu.ru
Mon Feb 16 10:25:53 CET 2009

Dear Developers,

Please forward this information to video codecs developers!

Moscow State University Graphics & Multimedia Laboratory starts next
5-th H.264 codecs comparison. There is some information about it
below. Let us know if any questions.

Main issues:

* COMPARISON WILL BE SOON! (Sorry for delay).

* We are planning to include new codecs that did not participate in
  previous comparison by chosing presets for them ourself.
  We are hope to include more codecs into this comparison.

                    CALL FOR MPEG4-AVC/H.264 CODECS
                  Fifth H.264 video codec comparison
For practical researchers and developers in the field of high-end video compression

Scope of Test
-------------

* Encoding time, speed/quality analysis
* Objective quality measurements (PSNR, SSIM, Average Advantage, etc.)
* Analysis of averaged objective results
* Leaders in different areas
* Special analysis of codec parts

Important Dates
---------------

February, 20  - Deadline for preliminary receipt of a H.264 codecs
February, 27  - Deadline for receipt of a H.264 codec with required presets
March, 16     - Deadline for settling technical problems with codec’s functioning
April, 7      - Draft version of report that will be sent to all participants
April, 14     - Deadline for reception of comments to the draft
April, 28     - Comparison report release

Enhancements in comparison to Previous H.264/AVC Comparison

* We are planning to include new codecs that did not participate in
  previous comparison by chosing presets for them ourself. For that
  task we will use option analysis.

  Anyway we will be glad to have a direct contact with codec
  developers. The main benefit of direct participation for developers
  is receiving Pro version of comparison free of charge.

* Codecs options analysis (see example at Options Analysis of MPEG-4
  AVC/H.264 Codec x264)
  http://compression.ru/video/codec_comparison/x264_options_analysis_08_en.html

* New type of special analysis for codecs
  * Using natural sequences' special modification
  * Using synthetic sequences
  * Separate analysis of codecs main subsystems

* New sequences

Developer Deliverables
----------------------

The following deliverables should be provided by each developer:
* Codec files (CLI executable file is preferable)
* Short description of codec parameters
* Codec's presets with mentioning what H.264/AVC profiles are used

The full text of Call for Codecs is available at
http://compression.ru/video/codec_comparison/call_for_codecs_09.html

Variants of Participation
-------------------------

There are two variants for companies to participate in our comparison:

1. Participation for free. All results of your codec will be published,
   except special cases of measurements problems due to codec
   instability.

2. Private participation. A special report will be prepared only for your
   company. This report contains:
   * Your codec results and all material from the free version
   * Special additional analysis of your codec

If you are interested in the private participation, please contact us
for details.

Useful Links
* Fourth Annual MSU MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 Video Codec Comparison
  http://compression.ru/video/codec_comparison/mpeg-4_avc_h264_2007_en.html

* Options Analysis of MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 Codec x264
  http://compression.ru/video/codec_comparison/x264_options_analysis_08_en.html

* Subjective Comparison of Modern Video Codecs
  http://compression.ru/video/codec_comparison/subjective_codecs_comparison_en.html

Sincerely yours,
 Dr. Vatolin