[x264-devel] Mac Quicktime codec

Jason Garrett-Glaser darkshikari at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 17:30:18 CET 2009

2009/1/20 Michel Valstar <Michel.Valstar at imperial.ac.uk>:
> Hi,
>
> I've been using the x264 codec with great pleasure for some time now for the
> european SEMAINE project. To play the x264 encoded videos I prefer to use
> mplayer, which always works. However, due to limitations of OpenCv, a
> computer vision library, I now have to use Quicktime for decoding. I've
> found the x264 Quicktime codec 1.1 on Berlios, which seems to be an inactive
> project. Installing it helps, as I know don't get a quicktime error and I
> can hear the recorded sound. I do not, however, see anything: it's just
> playing black frames.
>
> I used mencoder to encode some low quality videos. This is the line I used
> for encoding:
>
> mencoder -o avtracks.avi -audiofile atracks.wav -oac copy -ovc x264 -vf
> scale=640:480 -x264encopts subq=4:bframes=2:b_pyramid:weight_b vtracks.avi

This is rather unsurprising, as H.264 in AVI is inherently
broken--you're rather lucky mplayer can play it to begin with; many
players can't.  Try using mp4, but do note that mencoder is incapable
of muxing to mp4 correctly, so you might need to mux manually with
mp4box or switch to ffmpeg.

Dark Shikari