[x264-devel] On the fly bit rate change

P O'Hanlon p.ohanlon at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 18:01:09 CET 2009

Hi,

We've been using x264 for video encoding in a network video
application for a while but so far I can only get 264 to set the
initial bit rate (rc.i_bitrate) from x264_encoder_open(). We would
like to be able to alter the video rate during a session but it isn't
clear how to do this without having to reinitialise the codec (which I
imagine would lose us a number of frames?)

I have noticed the x264_encoder_reconfig() function but this does not
appear to allow for a change in the bit rate directly - I guess one
can alter other settings here that will have an effect on the bit rate
but I wondered if it was possible to alter the target bit rate for the
ratecontrol system on the fly? Or some insight as to how one might go
about adding such a feature - which I imagine a few real-time video
streaming/conferencing apps would be interested in having control
over.

Many thanks for any input,

Piers O'Hanlon