[x264-devel] Data partitioning and extended profile in h.264

Jason Garrett-Glaser darkshikari at gmail.com
Sat Oct 17 10:05:04 CEST 2009

On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 12:28 AM, Arindam Biswas <send2ari at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I need to convert a h.264 baseline video to a h.264 extended profile video
> with data partitioning on the fly. From different x264 developer threads and
> checking the source code I found that current version of x264 does not
> support data partitioning for the current version. Is there any patch
> available which can do this or is there any hook in the code where I can
> implement this feature?
>
> My ultimate goal is to stream out h.264 video over wireless. What are the
> possible error resilience techniques I can use for better performance?

Data partitioning is definitely a suboptimal method; there are better options.

Some options you have:

1) Forward error correction (by far the best and most efficient option)
2) Max slice size (so that losing a packet doesn't mean losing the whole frame)
3) More keyframes
4) Periodic intra refresh (not in x264 yet, but maybe coming soon)

Dark Shikari