[x264-devel] Is integration of x264 with Java custom component feasible?

Sean McGovern gseanmcg at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 17:41:39 CEST 2016

Hi Jan,

On Sep 5, 2016 15:24, "OR151" <orise1 at poczta.onet.pl> wrote:

> Dear x264 Team,
>
> I would like to implement a custom RTMP transcoder to HLS format in Java
and I found the modification of the video resolution a bit challenging in
Java. My plan is to avoid using existing solutions like FFmpeg or at least
minimize the amount of 3rd party frameworks/tools integrated with my
component.

> That's why I would like to integrate directly with x264 library via JNI
from Java code. I envision that the x264 role would be to change the
resolution/bitrate of Mpeg-4 files/streams.

> Is integration with x264/libx264 from Java code to decrease
resolution/bitrate doable and is it a good idea?

> Thanks!
>
> Kind regards,
> Jan Kowalski

I don't see any immediate reasons why calling libx264 from JNI would not
work.

I would be very interested to hear your results if you decide to take this
route.

-- Sean McG.