[x264-devel] cmake based build system for x264?

Peter Steinbach steinbach at scionics.de
Mon Sep 12 15:16:58 CEST 2016

> What do you mean by "native" build support on Windows? There is no
> problems to build x264 on Windows if you have msys (it is not worser
> third party dependency than cmake). You can build x264 on Windows with
> mingw (gcc), MSVS (cl) or Intel Compiler (icl) if you have msys.

Hi BugMaster,

by native I meant windows native tools like visual studio. I believe
that cmake is more light-weight than msys/mingw et al. Simply because,
the package management of msys or mingw offers much more freedom to have
an ill-posed setup that DOES NOT build x264 than just cmake and
Microsoft Visual Studio. I simply see less layers of complexity. That's
why I think cmake is a good option. I also invested sometime getting the
configure file running with msys2. But without any luck. I also tried
xcompiling with mingw from linux, but those binaries were not picked up
by ffmpeg (which I actually need in my project). I am hoping for the
better with cmake.

Best,
Peter