[x265] MinGW GCC 4.7.1: Link failure with c881d82f9d85

Nikos Barkas nikbar2004 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 24 21:50:53 CEST 2013

Hi

Just came back after a few days of vacation and tried to build the latest and greatest x265 on my MinGW GCC 4.7.1-TDM setup. It builds fine, but I am getting this at the final step during link:

encoder/libencoder.a(framefilter.cpp.obj):framefilter.cpp:(.text+0x75d): undefined reference to `__sync_val_compare_and_swap_4'
collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [x265.exe] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/x265.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

After some quick investigation on the internet, it looks like one solution to the problem is to add -march=i486 to the compiler flags. This enables a successful link and the executable runs correctly as far as I can see. Other (better) solutions might exist and personally I'd be happy to not have to specify -march switches for the build if possible.

Best regards
Nikos