[x265] x265: How to get started (newbie question)?

Steve Borho steve at borho.org
Fri Sep 13 21:31:55 CEST 2013

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 11:38 AM, Krishna <krish.rao.v at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I am new to x265 and open-source codec dev. (but familiar with video
> compression) and I was wondering if anyone can help me get started. So, I
> looked at the BitBucket page and followed all the instructions regarding
> downloading the source, etc.
>
> What happens next is where I am stuck at. For a newbie like myself,
>
>    1. can you provide links to the current HEVC spec. which is being
>    followed to develop the code.
>    2. is there a fixed order in which the encoder functionalities are
>    being built.
>
> Hello Krishna,

The ITU H.265 spec can be found here: http://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-H.265
Others might be able to point to versions of the document that are better
formatted for online reading.

We're currently adding the finishing touches to 3 features:

* frame parallelism
* slicetype decision (lookahead)
* rudimentary ABR rate control

> Also, please feel free to add any tips that you think can help a newcomer
> get a grip on the code.

A short history might be helpful.

We started development in April based from the HM reference encoder.  Since
then we have changed the sources and diverged quite a bit, but all of the
code under source/Lib originated from the HM.  The goal is to eventually
replace all the HM code.  I've been deleting HM source files at a rate of
about 2 per week.  We have written a number of intrinsic based performance
primitives, but have begun transitioning them all to assembly.

Please visit the CodingStyle, TOD, and Contribute pages of our wiki, and
come visit us on #x265 on IRC to discuss whatever you decide to work on.O

Note that many of us are in Amsterdam for IBC this week, for our day jobs,
so the IRC channel may be quiet.

Regards,

--
Steve Borho