[x265] I would like to contribute to x265

dave dtyx265 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 20:46:43 CET 2014

On 02/10/2014 10:41 AM, Steve Borho wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 12:31 PM, Steve Borho <steve at borho.org
> <mailto:steve at borho.org>> wrote:
>

>     On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 5:13 PM, dave <dtyx265 at gmail.com
>     <mailto:dtyx265 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>         Hi All,
>
>         I would like to offer my services and contribute to x265
>         development.  From the wiki it looks like there are plenty
>         things to do but I don't want to duplicate or interfere with
>         the work of anyone else so if someone can give me something to
>         do I would appreciate it.  I am open to anything needed by
>         x265, both c/c++ and assembly work though I don't mind being
>         given something simple just to get started.  You can find me
>         in the x265 irc channel as dtyx265.
>

>     Hi Dave.
>
>     I've been collecting the more pressing TODO items in the bitbucket
>     repository's issue tracker:
>     https://bitbucket.org/multicoreware/x265/issues?status=new&status=open
>

>     #21 (enabling the VUI message) is the most pressing of the
>     "simple" problems.  That would be a great place to start.
>

> Hi Dave,
>
> How are things going on this front?
>
> --
> Steve Borho

I studied the VUI in the h265 spec, appendix E and have been studying
the x265 code from your suggested starting point,
setVuiParametersPresentFlag().  It looks like most fields are set to
spec defaults.  Some look like values that can be options specified by
the user, others look like values that are calculated from encoding a video.

Can you tell me more about just what pts and dts are?  I understand
generally what they are but it seems like there are a few places in the
VUI where they might play a role in calculating values.  I haven't had a
chance yet to compare to x264 code yet so if it all becomes obvious
there then I will get it.

I tried to create a user account on bitbucket so I could have issue 21
assigned to me but I keep getting

  Forbidden (403)

CSRF verification failed. Request aborted.

maybe bitbucket doesn't think I am human

Dave