[x265] I would like to contribute to x265

Steve Borho steve at borho.org
Mon Feb 10 22:41:53 CET 2014

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 1:46 PM, dave <dtyx265 at gmail.com> wrote:

>  On 02/10/2014 10:41 AM, Steve Borho wrote:
>

> On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 12:31 PM, Steve Borho <steve at borho.org> wrote:
>

>>  On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 5:13 PM, dave <dtyx265 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I would like to offer my services and contribute to x265 development.
>>>  From the wiki it looks like there are plenty things to do but I don't want
>>> to duplicate or interfere with the work of anyone else so if someone can
>>> give me something to do I would appreciate it.  I am open to anything
>>> needed by x265, both c/c++ and assembly work though I don't mind being
>>> given something simple just to get started.  You can find me in the x265
>>> irc channel as dtyx265.
>>

>>  Hi Dave.
>>
>>  I've been collecting the more pressing TODO items in the bitbucket
>> repository's issue tracker:
>> https://bitbucket.org/multicoreware/x265/issues?status=new&status=open
>>
>>  #21 (enabling the VUI message) is the most pressing of the "simple"
>> problems.  That would be a great place to start.
>>

>  Hi Dave,
>
>  How are things going on this front?
>
>  --
> Steve Borho

>  I studied the VUI in the h265 spec, appendix E and have been studying the
> x265 code from your suggested starting point,
> setVuiParametersPresentFlag().  It looks like most fields are set to spec
> defaults.  Some look like values that can be options specified by the user,
> others look like values that are calculated from encoding a video.
>
> Can you tell me more about just what pts and dts are?  I understand
> generally what they are but it seems like there are a few places in the VUI
> where they might play a role in calculating values.  I haven't had a chance
> yet to compare to x264 code yet so if it all becomes obvious there then I
> will get it.

pts is the presentation time stamp of a frame, the point at which it is
supposed to be displayed by the decoder.

dts is the decode time stamp of a frame, the point when the decoder is
supposed to begin decoding it.

Both are usually specified in units of the frame rate.  Since the pts & dts
are frame parameters and the VUI is a stream parameter, I don't they are
directly related, except that the denominator is likely signaled in some
way.

> I tried to create a user account on bitbucket so I could have issue 21
> assigned to me but I keep getting

BB might not allow issues to be assigned to users who don't have push
access anyway, so don't be too concerned about this.  You can add a comment
to the issue stating you are working on it.  Patches should go through this
mailing list anyway.

--
Steve