[x265] HEVC for 32bits 30channel images?

Roozbeh Fazl roozyfx at gmail.com
Fri Feb 14 16:31:48 CET 2014

I want to use HEVC to compress a set of openEXR files I have. OpenEXR is a
high dynamic range (HDR) image file format. These files are 32bit, 30
channels, i.e. an image has 30 different spectral(color) channels and a
pixel in each channel is stored by 32bits.

I want to consider these images as frames in a 'video' and then encode this
video using HEVC, to benefit from high compression ratio. Next I want to
have random access to this openEXR-HEVC-coded “video”, so that I can
quickly and easily read any pixel of any image in my original dataset.
Obviously pixels' bit depth and color-space of my images are different from
what is supported by HEVC by default, and I know HEVC is designed for
something else. Still, do you guys think this is possible or say there's a
theoretical barrier or sth like that to it?

I'm in computer graphics and don't have an in depth knowledge of video
coding, so I cannot see beforehand if there is a theoretical barrier to
what I want to do or not.

Preferably I want to do this as simple as possible: add support for reading
my input format and some tweaks and change of values here and there, and
tearing x265 implementation inside-out and rewrite everything from scratch.