[x265] Source Code Documentation of X265 Required

Steve Borho steve at borho.org
Sun Jul 27 17:01:09 CEST 2014

On 07/27, waqasjahangeri . wrote:
> My name is Waqas Ahmad and i am doing my PHD in electronics engineering. I
> have chosen video encoding as my research field. I am working in a
> government funded research project. The system is about Telemedicine based
> health care solution. The existing system uses H264 codec and my job is to
> upgrade the system with H265 codec so that bandwidth requirements should
> reduced to 40% to 50%, as per H265 claim.
>
> I am working on X265 encoder from last two months. I have found a good
> major overview of encoder interfaces by reading the document
>
> Link : http://x265.readthedocs.org/en/latest/introduction.html.
>

> It is quite abstract level document, is there any documentation on the
> source code? Currently i am understanding file compress.cpp (its function
> xCompressInterCU) and understanding  the code via debugging. It could be
> very helpful if i got some detailed source code documentation.

Hello Waqas,

I'm afraid there isn't much more documentation available about the
internals of x265.  The project is still too young and under too heavy
development to be able to document in this way (for instance,
compress.cpp no longer exists on tht tip). Several major refactors are
in progress to improve compression, performance, and maintainability.

If you have specific questions about how something works; we'd be happy
to answer questions here or on #x265 on irc.freenode.net.

--
Steve Borho