[x265] Dynamic rate control

Ralf Globisch rglobisch at csir.co.za
Tue Oct 13 15:50:11 CEST 2015

Joshua, just checking if I'm understanding you correctly: are you suggesting I change the x265_param::vbvBufferSize parameter before calling x265_encoder_reconfig?

Currently I am only setting x265_param::bitrate. If I need to set vbvBufferSize what
sort of values should it contain in relation to the desired bitrate in kbps?

Thanks,
Ralf

>>> Joshua Bowman <silverbacknet at gmail.com> 10/13/15 12:47 PM >>>
You should be able to use x265_encoder_reconfig to continually change the VBV
as you get updated on how much bandwidth & congestion you have. By adjusting VBV you
can achieve the fine-grained rate control you want; scalable encoding is little more
than the standardized encoding of several streams, RTSP-style, and switching between
them, so I don't think it'd be applicable to your case.