[x265] memory consumption when encoding 8K video

YIRAN LI mrfun.china at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 02:52:11 CEST 2017

Hi guys,

I'm writing a program which can encode video using X265 API.  It's a 32 bit
program.

When the program runs to encode a 8K video, I can see every
time encoder_encode is called, the program eats about 100MB so that after
12 frames are sent to encoder and when encoder_encode  is called for
another frame,  encoder_encode  returns failure. (at this time, about 1.5GB
in total is consumed by the encoder).

I guess it's caused by memory limit so compiled everything to 64bit, this
time everything went well and I could see maximum memory consumption is
about 6GB.

But I still need to fix the problem on 32bit because a lot of customers use
32 bit version. Just want to know, is there any option, to make encoder
hold less frames or what ever option that can make encoder consume less
memory?

Thanks for suggestion.