[x265] Release version 3.1.2

Mario *LigH* Rohkrämer contact at ligh.de
Thu Aug 1 15:33:47 CEST 2019

Aruna Matheswaran schrieb am 01.08.2019 um 15:21:

> On Wed, Jul 31, 2019 at 7:21 PM Mario *LigH* Rohkrämer <contact at ligh.de
> <mailto:contact at ligh.de>> wrote:
>
>     Aruna Matheswaran schrieb am 31.07.2019 um 07:52:
>      > Hi all,
>      >
>      > Version 3.1.2 of x265 is released with the fix for issue #498
>      >
>     <https://bitbucket.org/multicoreware/x265/issues/498/31rc-library-hangs-during-encoder_close>.
>
>      > Check out our downloads page
>      > <https://bitbucket.org/multicoreware/x265/downloads/>for the tarball.
>      >
>      > Looking forward to your feedback.
>      > --
>      > Regards,
>      > Aruna
>      >
>      >
>      > x265-devel mailing list
>      > x265-devel at videolan.org <mailto:x265-devel at videolan.org>
>
>     I might be wrong, but ... tagging without merging may result in two
>     parallel branches: "default" with the code and "release" with the tags.
>     And if you are unlucky (like right now), the "tip" points to the newest
>     tag with outdated code.
>

> Mario, We have implemented a new release process in v3.1. The plan is to
> maintain a separate branch for every release of x265.  All the bug fixes
> specific to release "X.X" will be pushed to "Release_X.X" with a tag
> "X.X.X" and the fix will be grafted to all the succeeding release
> branches as well into default. This way the integrating application will
> have the freedom to pick whichever version of x265 it wants as all the
> bug fixes specific to that version will be available in the release
> branch unlike earlier where all the bug fixes go into the tip of stable
> and the user is forced to use the recent release of x265.
>
> Stable will get periodic merges from default and once an ample amount of
> work goes into stable we'll create a new release branch and tag the new
> version.
>

>     --
>
>     Fun and success!
>
>     Mario *LigH* Rohkrämer
>     maito:contact at ligh.de <mailto:maito%3Acontact at ligh.de>
>

> --
> Regards,
> Aruna

Thank you, Aruna. This way you will keep track of bugfixes.

But it seems to me that the development of new features in the "default"
branch will not be available in releases until you explicitly merge
them. So testers will have either "unfixed" builds with new features or
fixed builds with old features only ... until the fixed "release" branch
may be merged with the experimental "default" branch once in a while.

--

Fun and success!

Mario *LigH* Rohkrämer
maito:contact at ligh.de