[x265] Use cases for aq-mode=4

Akil akil at multicorewareinc.com
Thu Aug 8 08:57:20 CEST 2019

Hi Nomis,
Thanks for asking and your interests in aq-mode 4. The AQ enabled with
auto-variance and edge information (aq-mode 4) is additional support that
we are providing over the aq-mode 2 (AQ with auto-variance). We have
enabled a Gaussian LPF for noise removal and an edge filter that highlights
the noiseless edges information and its directions in the
pictures. Considering these parameters, we have modified the QP for every
block. The particular well-suited use-cases for this mode will be videos
with high edge contents. (Ex: Ducks take off, Crowd run, Raindrops etc).
Please write to us if you have more questions. :)

On Thu, Aug 8, 2019 at 3:25 AM Nomis101 🐝 <Nomis101 at web.de> wrote:

> I know, all the command line options are may give an improvement for one
> situation and others where they don't give an improvement or even hurt
> quality. So, I've learned aq-mode=3 is best for dark
> scenes (in SDR). But, I was wondering about the (best) intended use cases
> for the new aq-mode=4? The documentation says "AQ enabled with
> auto-variance and edge information". This sounds very good.
> But, is this good for SDR or HDR? For film or anime? For scenes with lots
> of motion or less motion? What are the intended use cases? I did some
> experiments, but they did not give me much
> clarification. And searching the web also didn't help.
>
> Regards,
> Simon

*Regards,*
*Akil R*