[libbluray-devel] Missing path to JVM for OpenJDK 8 in bdj.c?

Petri Hintukainen phintuka at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Apr 28 20:15:09 CEST 2016

On ma, 2016-04-25 at 18:54 +0200, Alexandre Figura wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently encountered a problem with Libbluray 0.9.2 and OpenJDK 8.
>
> When analysing a Blu-ray disc with BD-J content by using Ffprobe
> (which
> uses libbluray), the following error appears:
>
> $ ffprobe -i bluray:<bluray_path> -loglevel quiet
> bdj.c:457: BD-J check: Failed to load JVM library

Unrelated to the subject, but in this case (ffprobe/ffmpeg) you can
just ignore this error. Java will be used only when you play the disc
with disc menus.

> This error message does not appear when installing OpenJDK 7.
>
> I took a look at the source code of Libbluray and saw that the path
> the JVM for OpenJDK 8 is missing:
>
> http://git.videolan.org/?p=libbluray.git;a=blob;f=src/libbluray/bdj/b
> dj.c;h=101d33564083a900f8bed5ba0b47536e5402841f;hb=HEAD#l203

Yes, only few most common paths are listed. Easiest way to fix this at
runtime is to use JAVA_HOME environment variable:

  JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-amd64/ ffmpeg ...

OpenJDK 8 should work just well.

> I thought at first that Libbluray was not compatible with OpenJDK 8
> and
> opened a ticket on the bug tracker of my distribution (Archlinux):
> https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/48982
>
> Have you an idea about where this problem could be solved? In
> Libbluray
> or in the package of my distribution?

Unfortunately there's no "standard" location for JVM in Linux.

I think it would be best to handle this in distribution. Adding all
possible Java versions from every distribution to libbluray would be
huge task. Also, it would require continuous maintenance and updating
the paths every time new Java version is released.

It should be possible to specify distribution-specific location for JVM
at build time (JDK_HOME=... ./configure ...), if distribution has ex.
permanent symlink to current/default JVM.