[Translators] Regression in the Mac menu?

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Fri Nov 8 21:47:43 CET 2013

    Hello,

Le vendredi 8 novembre 2013 17:49:30 Michael Bauer a écrit :
> Secondly the majority of languages spoken on this planet are not
> supported as UI languages or locales by Apple.

Sorry but that is your problem. If you wanted Gaelic, you should have checked
the product specification before you bought MacOS. I fail to see how and why
the VLC developers should be involved.

> As a result, any such
> language joining VLC for localization will only get their work on screen
> on Windows/Linux, not OSX.

The situation is the same on all OSes. VLC has not supported UI language
selection on Linux for years, and it now uses the system locale on *all*
operating systems. Misconfigured OS locale settings is a common problem, to be
sure. Users need to fix their settings - either way: that can equally be done
in the OS as it could be done in VLC.

> Gaelic being a half-case in question.

Except for misconfigured (mostly Windows) locales, you are the first and only
person to complain about wrong UI language, and thus the only person to point
out the lack of support for some language, and apparently not even the ones
your personally care about. And VLC 2.1 has been out for over a month and most
translations updated for even longer...

> True,
> not all are actively localizing but why put an obstacle then the code
> was already there?

Regardless, I am yet to see anyone propose a correct patch for UI language
selection in LibVLC. Without a code, a feature cannot exist. I am open to
changing the UI but so as far as I am concerned the issue moot for now.

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont
http://www.remlab.net/