[Translators] OT: UI language seleccion for minorized languages (was: VLC on iOS)

Joan Montané jmontane at softcatala.cat
Mon Sep 9 13:46:18 CEST 2013

2013/9/9 Michael Bauer <fios at akerbeltz.org>

>  Joan,
>
> Tell me you're joking about Android 4.2 and higher having removed even
> *that* mousehole? Right?
>
> Michael

Sadly, I'm not joking, :((((( Only in rooted devices custom-language apps
will work [1], [2] & [3].

AFAIK, iOS, Android and FirefoxOS don't have language-packs or something
similar. Translations are alway bundled with apps. There is a red-line for
languages in XXI century devices. If your language is in a selected group,
you are lucky, otherwise, your language doesn't exist. :(((((

So, It's time to promote best-practices for apps developers. Every app must
to provide a custom-locale option.

Joan Montané

[1]
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13440045/android-4-2-filters-out-change-configuration-permission