[Translators] methods for updating a translation ?

Yaron Shahrabani sh.yaron at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 08:54:50 UTC 2021

On Thu, Feb 11, 2021, 08:30 Cristian Secară <liste at secarica.ro> wrote:

> În data de Thu, 11 Feb 2021 08:16:29 +0200, Yaron Shahrabani a scris:
>
> > Currently it's Transifex:
> > https://www.transifex.com/yaron/vlc-trans/dashboard/
>
> Hm. If some translation progress has been done offline by working on the
> .po file, I don't know if this can be imported to Transifex (and for some,
> like me, online translation is out of question – whatever the platform).

Of course upload and download are supported.

> > There's always an option to try and send the translations directly to
> > git but it's highly non-recommended since it can break a whole lot of
> > moving parts.
>
> That's strange, as (for example) on Inkscape this is the preferred (if not
> only, currently) way to merge an updated translation (provided that the
> translation is in sync with its corresponding .pot file).

Steep learning curve, high maintenance overload and lack of real time
contextual collaboration are the main obstacles.

People who can speak languages should have the simplest translation systems
for work, git and manually editing of po files is not user friendly
although there are some contributors who strongly insist it is.

Since I'm usually having this discussions with highly technical people who
perceive localization from a technical point of view I'm hitting the same
walls over and over again, localization have different aspects and numerous
required skills and we do not want to ignore the less technical people or
teach everyone git, gettext, etc. to contribute, I'm happy that you know
how to use these but don't force it on other people, especially if you can
still work offline.

Inkscape is a very complicated tool that requires a lot of attention to
visual details, lack of unified contextual guidance (screenshots, links to
examples, cross team discussions, etc.) requires some more guessing work
from the translators (especially with less developed languages where the
translators should make up words and explanations for things that simply do
not exist in their language).
This is why even the Inkscape team is considering an online localization
platform, I'm managing my translation with Transifex privately because I
have several PCs with different operating systems and I need a single
source of truth for my work (I wish I could do this freely with Weblate but
sadly I still don't have my own instance :( ).

Kind regards,
Yaron.