[vlc] Re: DVB + subtitle separation

Sigmund Augdal dnumgis at videolan.org
Mon Sep 26 09:57:26 CEST 2005

On Mon, 2005-09-26 at 00:07 +0300, Mikko Rauhala wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a bit of a problem with a DVB recording that I have in a file:
> The file contains the whole mux for multiple channels. VLC does, to its
> credit, find the program I'm interested in in the file, and can display
> it properly with DVB subtitles and all. Now, I've tried separating the
> channel with ts_filter (produced output that vlc cannot read) and
> mpgdemux (found all the other channels but the one I wanted...). I was
> wondering since VLC can read the stuff in properly and seems to have
> stream saving functions, can I get it to save a file with only the
> desired data?
VLC could do it, but it's sortof difficult. Using the commandline
something like this should work:

--- on one line ---
vlc yourfile.dvb :sout=file/ts://outfile.dvb --program 8196 --sout-all
vlc:quit
--- end of line ---

just replace 8196 with the program you are interrested in, usually found
in the navigation menu of vlc while playing the file.

> Also, this may (possibly) go a bit beyond VLC, but suggestions on
> converting the DVB subtitles into DVD format for burning would be
> appreciated.
vlc can convert dvd subtitles to dvb subtitles. Going the other way may
be a bit difficult for a few reasons:
* dvb subtitles can have more colors than dvd subtitles. This is however
not necessarily the case.
* dvd subtitles stor the bitmaps in the mpeg stream (the .vob file), and
stores the palette info separatly in the .ifo files (or something
similar).

Sigmund