[x265] Old issue? Zones in n-pass VBR may not be reliable

Mario Rohkrämer contact at ligh.de
Sat Mar 12 10:56:52 CET 2016

I was just surprised by a reply on a post in the doom9 video forum I
already forgot due to no reply so far, from July 2015. I had a report in
the German doom9/Gleitz forum that a user could not see any impact by
zones on the final bitrate in the 2nd pass, only in 1st pass and 1-pass
modes. It seems that this issue still happens (or again?), but yet mainly
unnoticed because only few may use this feature, so I will start testing
again to confirm. Just a note for now, but may be useful to review your
regression tests to have such a check included.

--

Fun and success!
Mario *LigH* Rohkrämer
mailto:contact at ligh.de