[x265] Deterministic CPU core pinning

Michael Lackner michael.lackner at unileoben.ac.at
Wed Apr 10 11:15:37 CEST 2019

I believe you should be able to do that via the --pools <string> or --numa-pools <string>
command line option, in case you're using the cli version of x265.

Documentation of the syntax can be found here:

https://x265.readthedocs.io/en/default/cli.html#cmdoption-pools

That won't allow you to use numactl on the process, but given the parameters' flexibility
you should be able to pin the processes' threads on specific NUMA nodes as well as
individual cores.

Let's say you have a single NUMA node, then I guess "--pools 8" would limit the process to
the first 8 logical cores of the machine.

For a 2-node NUMA system, I assume you could do: "--pools 8,-", which should use a maximum
of 8 logical cores on node 0 and zero cores on node 1.

Not sure how to do it on a flat topology (without any NUMA) though. But I guess most
modern systems are NUMA-aware anyway.