[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] packetizer/startcode_helper: enhance with AVX2

jnqnfe at gmail.com jnqnfe at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 22:40:56 CET 2019

adding to the email I sent an hour ago...

I have taken some time to review the mailing list, going as far back as
my earliest contributions (2017) and (ignoring this recent mess with
the AVX2 stuff) I can find little evidence of any mention at all of
patches I have submitted failing to compile, nor suggestion of
frustration felt towards me, nor have I found anything additional in
searching my inbox (again, I still have most or all of the unmerged
patches and they compile fine for me).

for you convenience I link below to all discussions found from jan 2017
to present (excluding this thread and todays patch submissions only),
though you are very welcome to review the month-by-month postings
yourself.

highlights:
 - in #14 you mentioned that one patch failed to compile, (
https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2018-March/118096.html
), this was, as I explained, due to having built the patch on top of
another that was not merged; no sign of any frustration.
 - in #19 you make an assumption about the patch "looking incomplete";
I mention not having compiled it; you reply indicating that you've thus
taken it to be a "yes" to this breaking things and that you're going to
ignore it and that removing things "always" breaks stuff; Marvin points
out a few things it possibly missed, which I then addressed
 - in #35 you mention it failing to compile "Patch is giving ugly
warnings here" (
https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2018-July/120095.html)
; we ultimately agree on the solution being problematic with respect to
exiting versions of PulseAudio and that we would put it aside to
revisit later
 - in #43 I proposed a purge of MMX, and you responded to say "Adding,
renaming or removing files requires distcheck. If you cannot even build
VLC, you should probably abstain." (
https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2019-January/122552.html
)

So, a couple of failures amongst it all (ignoring the recent big
one); no frustration or anything expressed from you nor anyone else; no
warnings that you're unhappy; nothing to warrant a great build up of
frustration for you to vent and have a go at me for as you have done.

I am now waiting on an apology...

[1]
https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2017-November/116290.html
[2]
https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2018-January/117234.html
[3]
https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2018-January/117236.html
[4]
https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2018-February/117591.html
[5]
https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2018-February/117592.html
[6]
https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2018-February/117597.html
[7]
https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2018-February/117783.html
[8]
https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2018-February/117784.html
[9]
https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2018-February/117785.html
[10]
https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2018-February/117786.html
[11]
https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2018-February/117963.html
[12]
https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2018-February/117964.html
[13]
https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2018-March/117973.html
[14]
https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2018-March/117974.html
[15]
https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2018-March/117987.html
[16]
https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2018-March/118082.html
[17]
https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2018-March/118081.html
[18]
https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2018-March/118084.html
[19]
https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2018-March/118091.html
[20]
https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2018-March/118092.html
[21]
https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2018-March/118093.html
[22]
https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2018-March/118367.html
[23]
https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2018-March/118368.html
[24]
https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2018-April/118689.html
[25]
https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2018-April/118710.html
[26]
https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2018-May/118933.html
[27]
https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2018-May/118931.html
[28]
https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2018-May/118981.html
[29]
https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2018-May/118983.html
[30]
https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2018-May/118982.html
[31]
https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2018-May/118992.html
[32]
https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2018-May/119062.html
[33]
https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2018-May/119155.html
[34]
https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2018-June/119831.html
[35]
https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2018-July/120045.html

the following is all more recent 2019 stuff, mostly todo with the AVX2
enhancements and such

[36]
https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2019-January/122498.html
[37]
https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2019-January/122504.html
[38]
https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2019-January/122499.html
[39]
https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2019-January/122505.html
[40]
https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2019-January/122511.html
[41]
https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2019-January/122538.html
[42]
https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2019-January/122549.html
[43]
https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2019-January/122539.html
[44]
https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2019-January/122553.html
[45]
https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2019-January/122558.html
[46]
https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2019-January/122579.html
[47]
https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2019-February/123067.html
[48]
https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2019-March/123357.html

- ignoring this discussion thread itself and todays patch submissions -